East Grand Rapids Real Estate
East Grand Rapids is a city in Kent County and more often referred to as a suburb on the east side of the metropolitan Grand Rapids area. The census from 2010 gives the population to be 10,694. The suburb is 3.4 square miles, 2.9 square miles is land, which mostly consists of suburban homes and an assortment of boutiques, specialty stores and an outstanding hospital, the Blodgett Hospital, located on Wealthy Street.
East Grand Rapids is one of the oldest cities in Kent County, it was first settled in the early 1830s when the Reed Family moved from New York State. Perhaps one of the most remembered pastimes of East Grand Rapids is between 1897 and 1955, when Ramona Park, an amusement park was owned and operated by the Grand Rapids Street Railway Company. Surrounded by Wealthy Street, Lovette Avenue and Lakeside Drive this was a destination spot for thousands of family. East Grand Rapids resident and former president, Gerald R. Ford, once worked a concession stand at Ramona Park. The Park also had the Ramona Theatre Pavilion, which could seat 1,700 people, plays, acts, silent films and musicals are just some of the entertainment thousands watched over the years. It was built in 1897 and taken down in 1949, with the convenience of cars people no longer were restricted to close destinations and vacation spots and traffic at the park slowed fast. The city voted to develop the land into the current Gaslight Village.
Located in the center of the East Grand Rapids community are its’ prided Public Schools. Approximately 3,000 students attend the East Grand Rapids Public Schools, which is made up of three elementary schools, one middle school and one high school. With its challenging academics, attention to the arts and extra circular activities it is no wonder why it’s one of the top public school districts in Michigan, based on their students state and national academic tests.